You are here
Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter - CPCU
From risk management principles to complex policy and coverage analysis, CPCU is the premier designation to ensure your professional success.
This Program Is Recommended For
- Agents and brokers
- Agency principals
- Claims representatives
- Line of business managers and executives
- Insurance litigators
- Risk managers
Completion Time Frame
Complete the program in 2-3 years.
"After 18 years in claims, I decided to pursue the CPCU designation as a way to further my career. Earning CPCU not only helped me secure a management position, but also helped me become a better claims professional. CPCU showed me how important it is to continue your training in order to be successful within the insurance field .”
Robert C. Haberman, CPCU, AIC, ARM, CSMA, CPSA, CSRP
Western Reserve Group
"Getting the CPCU designation was the best move I ever made..."
David S. Hershey, CPCU, ARM
Sprague Energy/ Lexa International
- Four foundation courses
- Three courses in either the personal lines or commercial lines concentration
- One elective course
- Completion of Ethics 312--Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct
You can take courses in any sequence according to your background, needs, and interests.
In order to satisfy the CPCU education requirements you must pass in any order; four foundation courses, all three courses from within your choice of either the personal lines concentration or the commercial lines concentration, and one elective course.
- To satisfy the CPCU ethics requirements, you must either pass the 50-question exam in the free online Ethics 312 module OR have completed the CPCU 510-Foundations of Risk Management, Insurance, and Professionalism course by March 15, 2011.
- The CPCU Code of Professional Conduct notes ongoing professional education as a core value for every CPCU. Learn more.
To earn the CPCU designation, in addition to completing the education requirements, you must:
- Matriculate with The Institutes by completing an online form and submitting a fee-- this registers you as a CPCU designation candidate and requires you to abide by the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct. It is recommended that you matriculate as early as possible in your CPCU studies. You will receive a link to the matriculation form when you register for your first exam.
- Before earning the CPCU Designation, you must be able to show that you were engaged for a minimum of 17 1/2 hours a week in acceptable insurance activities for any 24 months during the five-year period immediately preceding the conferment of the designation.
- Sample Course Materials View a PDF of all CPCU 500 Assignments View a PDF of a CPCU 500 Assignment Excerpt
- Promotional Materials CPCU Program Flyer CPCU Experience Booklet Charting Your Success Resources
- Additional Course Resources 2016 Conferment Ceremony Information CPCU Equivalency Chart The Institutes' Waiver Request Form
- Additional Knowledge Solutions All Programs The Institutes' Catalog Past CPCU Program Changes