Ethical behavior is crucial to preserving not only the trust on which insurance transactions are based, but also the public’s trust in our industry as a whole. Offered by The Institutes at no charge, Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct was designed specifically for insurance practitioners, and it uses insurance-based case studies to outline an ethical framework. Additionally, this online offering outlines the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct, details the nine CPCU canons, and shows how to apply the CPCU canons to common ethical dilemmas an insurance professional may face.
Continuing education (CE) credit for passing the online exam included with this learning module is now available in most states. An electronic affidavit is provided with the CE version, according to each state’s requirements. To receive CE credits, pay a $5.50 administrative fee when you register.
After completing this learning module, you’ll be able to recognize ethical dilemmas when they arise and you’ll also have the skills needed to reach informed decisions when faced with a dilemma.
- Distinguish among:
- Support the position that professionalism is a desired characteristic of the insurance practitioner.
- Summarize why it is important that insurance practitioners maintain high ethical standards.
- Give examples of an insurance practitioner’s ethical responsibility to:
- The public
- Given an ethical dilemma, identify:
- The stakeholders
- The motivation for the actions taken
- The relevant ethical issues
- Apply these theories to an ethical dilemma using these decision-making tools:
- Summarize the barriers to making ethical decisions.
- Given the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct, explain:
- The purpose of the Code
- To whom the Code applies
- The components of the Code
- Given an ethical dilemma, apply the nine CPCU canons and the rule(s) associated with each Canon to arrive at a resolution.
- Describe the disciplinary process and penalties applicable to each of these parties under the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct:
- A CPCU designee
- An applicant
- A CPCU candidate
- Apply ethical decision-making theories and decision-making tools, including the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct, to resolve a general business ethical dilemma.
- Apply ethical decision-making theories and decision-making tools, including the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct, to resolve an ethical dilemma involving the use of the CPCU designation.
We Recommend This Learning Module For: All job functions and levels within the risk management and insurance industries.
NOTE: All CPCU designation candidates must successfully complete the Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct exam to earn the CPCU designation.
Cost: The Institutes offer Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct at no charge. If you wish to earn continuing education (CE) credits for passing the 50-question, objective, online exam included with it, a nominal $5.50 administrative fee applies.
- The importance of ethics
- Ethical responsibility to groups
- Ethical dilemmas
- Ethical theories and decision-making tools
- Barriers to ethical decision-making
- Overview of the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct
- The nine CPCU canons
- Disciplinary rules and procedures
- A general business ethical dilemma
- A CPCU Code of Professional Conduct ethical dilemma
Note:When ordering the free module you might be asked for payment information. Please leave payment fields blank and submit your order.
Interested in corporate multi-user information, volume discounts, or learning management system (LMS) compatibility? Contact the Institutes' Regional Sales Executive in your area.