Ethical behavior is crucial to preserving not only the trust on which insurance transactions are based, but also the public’s trust in our industry as a whole. Offered by The Institutes at no charge, Ethical Guidelines for CPCUs was designed specifically for risk and insurance practitioners, and it uses case studies to outline an ethical framework. Additionally, this online offering outlines the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct, details the nine CPCU canons, and shows how to apply the CPCU canons to common ethical dilemmas a professional may face.
Continuing education (CE) credit for passing the online exam included with this learning module is now available in most states. An electronic affidavit is provided with the CE version, according to each state’s requirements. To receive CE credits, pay a $5.50 administrative fee when you register.
After completing this learning module, you’ll be able to recognize ethical dilemmas when they arise and you’ll also have the skills needed to reach informed decisions when faced with a dilemma.
- Distinguish among these foundations of ethical behavior:
- Illustrate how insurance practitioners should exhibit professionalism in their relationships.
- Summarize the areas in which insurance professionals maintain high ethical standards.
- Explain how an insurance professional meets the ethical responsibility to these groups:
- The Public
- Describe each of the steps used in the approach to resolving ethical dilemmas, including:
- Identifying the stakeholders
- Determining the motivation for the actions taken
- Analyzing all relevant issues
- Analyze an ethical dilemma from these perspectives:
- Apply decision-making tools to resolve an organization's ethical dilemma.
- Summarize the barriers to making ethical decisions
- Explain why the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct (the Code) is needed, who is affected, and how it is comprised.
- Given an ethical dilemma, apply the nine CPCU canons and the rule(s) associated with each Canon to arrive at a resolution.
- Summarize the disciplinary process and penalties applicable to those individuals subject to the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct.
- Apply ethical decision-making theories and tools, including the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct, to resolve general business ethical dilemmas.
- Apply ethical decision-making theories and tools, including the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct, to resolve an ethical dilemma.
We Recommend This Learning Module For: All job functions and levels within the risk management and insurance industries.
NOTE: All CPCU designation candidates must successfully complete the Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct exam to earn the CPCU designation.
Cost: The Institutes offer Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct at no charge. If you wish to earn continuing education (CE) credits for passing the 50-question, objective, online exam included with it, a nominal $5.50 administrative fee applies.
- Understanding the Foundations of Ethical Behavior
- Supporting Professionalism
- Maintaining High Ethical Standards
- Ethical Responsibility to Groups
- An Approach to Resolving Ethical Dilemmas
- Ethical Perspectives
- Ethical Decision-Making Tools
- Barriers to Ethical Decision-Making
- The CPCU Code of Professional Conduct
- Applying the CPCU Canons
- The CPCU Code: Disciplinary Rules and Procedures
Note:When ordering the free module you might be asked for payment information. Please leave payment fields blank and submit your order.
Interested in corporate multi-user information, volume discounts, or learning management system (LMS) compatibility? Contact the Institutes' Regional Sales Executive in your area.