Data Concepts and Visualization
This course is designed for those with some background in data analytics and/or actuarial work who have an interest in working in data science. Part of The CAS Institute's credential in predictive analytics, this course will allow you to:
- Obtain fundamental knowledge about data, data management and data presentation with an emphasis on insurance data
- Expand your knowledge by learning how to apply basic technical tools to locate, evaluate, organize and manage data elements for further use in analytics
- Position yourself to join a community of professionals engaged in insurance applications and utilize your predictive analytics and data science skills to address practical business problems
- Data quality
- Sources of data
- Accessing raw data
- Working with data
- Insurance Applications
- Regulation and privacy issues
- Exploratory data analysis
- Case studies in data preparation
- Principles of data visualization
Suggested Self-Study Time
External readings (must be obtained separately)
- Actuaries and data scientists.
- This course is a requirement for those pursuing The CAS Institute’s Certified Specialist in Predictive Analytics (CSPA) credential.
Duration: 3 hours
- Effective July 31, 2017, Volume 2 of this course is available. If you purchased the course before July 31, you will be sent Volume 2, along with any course guides or SMART Study Aids purchased.
- Materials from the external readings referenced above will be included in your exam, in addition to iCAS DS1.
iCAS DS1 Online Course, 1st edition
(Includes one attempt at the iCAS DS1 exam - 4 external readings must be obtained separately)
iCAS DS1 Comprehensive Package #1, 1st edition
(Includes online course, exam, course guide and textbooks - 4 external readings must be obtained separately)
iCAS DS1 Comprehensive Package #2, 1st edition
(Includes online course, exam, course guide, textbooks and SMART Study Aids - 4 external readings must be obtained separately)